Main Navigation

User login

Navigation

Who's online

There are currently 0 users and 2 guests online.

Brickshelf gone for good?

by captjack (Brick Talk)

Hi guy's sorry it's been a long time since I posted life has been hectic lately with GCSE's and the rest.

Didn't really now where to post this but i've just been on brickshelf and to my surprise ound it closed i don't now wheter it's for maintenance or for good.

Hope this information is right? 

"You can't kill someone over a foot massage!"

My MOC page http://www.mocpages.com/home.php

Batman Jokes & Roses

by Ryan1972 on Sat, 07/14/2007 - 18:05
Holy crap!

I just checked Brickshelf a few moments ago and it looks like it has in fact been shut down!!!

All that shows up is a page saying "Brickshelf has discontinued operation. We apologize for any inconvenience."

And that's all.

No explanation.

Gone.

by Droid on Sat, 07/14/2007 - 18:20
Oh My God. But Maj is still up.

by Damien on Sat, 07/14/2007 - 19:33

Well that's total bull. . . I didn't even get to back-up my pictures! It'll take me months to retake all those pictures and upload them somewhere else. Oh man. . that's. . angering.

MCN Moderator of Customization Tips, Techniques & Questions
by avojak on Sat, 07/14/2007 - 19:45

I found this after doing some researching on the issue:

• In response to a question about why it was down and whether or not people could recover pictures:

If Kevin would need Peeron to help with that, it can be done.  Keep in mind that
Brickshelf proper was a *huge* bandwidth hog - I don't remember the exact
numbers, but it was multiple TB/mo.

Dan

This is not directed at Tim, but rather some of the whiners that responed to his
post above...

When I first saw that BrickShelf was down, I was all gung-ho to see what I could
do to help bring it back up.  As the host for Classic-Castle, I do have have a
dedicated server and excess bandwidth, so some help could have been provided.

Now, after seeing the reaction here and elsewhere, I am rapidly starting not to
care if you whiney vultures ever get your photos back.

Kevin provided a basically free service to everyone for YEARS.  Everyone used it
without much thought tot he costs involved.  Sure, he could have handled this
latest episode better, but for now none of us know the circumstances involved.
I know that *I* would certainly have grown tired of supporting a site for a
bunch of ungrateful users.

And as for the supposed "Lego Community"?  Useless.  Instead of being a true
community and banding together to help save a pillar of the community, what to
we get?  Personal attacks on Kevin and a bunch of whining.

Do something or quit your complaining.

Troy

I don't have any answers myself, this is just what i found elsewhere online.

My Brickshelf (Not much there yet...)
by Shadowviking on Sat, 07/14/2007 - 20:39
NOO! Crap... I'll have to get a Flickr Pro account, or Maj, or.... arrrgh! While Brickshelf could certainly be improved, it was still a fantastic resource, and the apparent loss of it is quite a horror. Maybe it'll go back up if Kevin sees the reaction...

Flickr
A Huge thanks to Vidgamer838
for the avvy!
by Muiredach on Sat, 07/14/2007 - 21:24
Darn. Time for mocpages!

Keep Customizing!

-Jon

by pork demon on Sat, 07/14/2007 - 23:54

aaahhhh my world has been plunged into chaos, thismorning i opened my internet window only to find that my homepage was gone and there was a breif note with to explination of the shutdown. im verry annoyed as there didnt seem to be any warning whatsoever, it would have been nice if we had been told prior so we could back up our files. i have lost some of my favourite decals, never to be seen again. ( i know i should have backed them up).

whatever the reason for brickshelfs closing down, cost of running or personal reasons i am still annoyed that there was no warning, just a sudden dissaperance of what i think was one of the best lego customiser sources on the web.

if kevin needed help he should have asked, i would have donated money to save that site, as im sure a few of you fellow brickmodders would.

now i am forced to use maj or some other site, oh woe is me...

today is a black day for the lego community.

Humankind can not gain anything without first giving something in return, to obtain something of equal value must be lost. This is alchemys first law of equivalent exchange.

by Viking Maniac on Sun, 07/15/2007 - 01:42

That seems to be a bit of a harsh response from Troy, of course we are going to whine, I must have lost dozens of photos as my computer's hard drive has been wiped so many times, as has my camera. And to the lack of appreciation thing, I never even found out who the heck owned that site, being why I took it for granted. I'm not trying to make a personal attack here but a warning would have been nice.

I loved brickshelf as it's simplicity was superb, it took about a second to load anything, now I guess none of you will never see work anymore, I hate creating accounts on stupid websites I don't neccisarily need.

The Brickshelf  (It works now)

Yaaargh!

My email is not valid (I don't want

by Redbean on Sun, 07/15/2007 - 02:54

First of all, it is a real shame to see BS go, especially in such an unexpected manner. But sadness aside, I echo Troy's sentiment from Lugnet and wish Kevin well. I hope all of you here will join me in thanking him for the tireless service he had provided to the community for such a long time.

Secondly, like most of you, this move completely caught me off-guard and I wish I could've had at least an hour or so to save some of my favorite pictures from the site (especially the minifig-related ones). I've also received a few enquiries requesting the possible upload of your custom works to MCN. While I personally favor this and believe it to be one of the main purposes of the establishment of MCN (although we've yet to realize this), as a site, we still have our limitation brandwidth-wise and must be highly selective of what we upload. Therefore, if you are a customizer and have some custom figs which you'd like to submit to MCN for consideration, by all means please contact one of the friendly admins and request considerations. But please note that because we don't want to overload our site and follow the footpath of BS, we may have to disappoint some of you as we will only be able to accept works of the highest quality at the moment (if in doubt, please take a look at our existing gallery and ask yourself if the standard of your work is comparable to what you see there).

Also, if you are not a customizer but happen to have saved some quality custom figs by other customizers from BS, please go to this thread here and list the filename of the picture along with a description. We are not able to host anything on MCN without the author's permission, but the creator of the custom just may have lost that image and I am sure would be very grateful if you can recover it for them (ie. Damien). You'll also be doing the community a great favor by preserving many of those custom works for the community to see.

So while we're all sad about the recent loss of event, let's be positive and see what we can do to help.

RB

by Dragon Rider on Sun, 07/15/2007 - 06:29
Woaaa!  This was unexpected!  At least I still have all the images on my computer so I can just upload them to maj or get a flickr account.  I feel real sorry for everybody who lost their images.  Unfortunately I didn't download any images of figs that weren't mine - I just book marked it.

Flickr  B-shelf
Super thanks to VG838 for the awesome avatar.  :)
by Unknown Artist on Sun, 07/15/2007 - 09:09
Well, Google AdSense is useful, but it seems it wasn't enough to keep B-Shelf going. It IS a pity to see it go and I do hope there is still hope to get the Galleries back online. I have all of my own photos backed-up at least 3 times on different media, but there were some absolutely stunning galleries out there I just didn't save to my hard disk in full. Couple of shots, perhaps, but not all of them. Will be using the Web Archive to recover some of those, as 4J suggested.

And, when it comes to paying, I *would* pay for a B-Shelf account. I am registered for at least 4 monthly magazines - I for sure can spare something for my favorite hobby.

It is a pity if all of the data is lost. My Customs Folder was almost in the top 100 galleries... :( Anyway, enough of my egoistic complaints - all of us who did not donate a cent for perhaps the most important site of the community - we just don't have the right to complain.

- Unknown Artist, Moderator of MCN

Unknown Artist Studio | MOCpages | B-Shelf
by jellybean on Sun, 07/15/2007 - 11:39
CRAP! I was just about to start putting up my custom figs.And why did it have to be brickshelf, why not some other dumb site.DANGET!!!

"Est Solarus Oth Mithas" "my honor is my life"--Sturm Brightblade

by avojak on Sun, 07/15/2007 - 11:50
Crap... the Eurobricks site is screwed up too because most of those pics where linked to BS

My Brickshelf (Not much there yet...)
by Vidgamer838 on Sun, 07/15/2007 - 12:03
I was able to save some of my favorite custom minifigs off of brickshelf, but not many. I also started uploading everything to my Flickr page, but I've already hit my 200 photo limit! Looks like I'll need a Pro account after all.

by llama lord on Sun, 07/15/2007 - 13:29

I e-mailed de person to see what was going on.

like red-bean, i saved a number of photos from Moko's gallery and some cromies from armothe. Toda------

Here's a couple to name a few. I'll try uplaoding them to maj or something after I get done crying : (

llama lord

Wedge: "Sithspit! What's that?"
Wes: "That's the sun, Wedge. It's after dawn."
Wedge: "Well, it offends me. Turn it off."
— Wedge Antilles and Wes Janson
by frogstudio on Sun, 07/15/2007 - 14:09

Hi all out there,

I'm also sad about BS's departure, but it's totally understandable.  It's illogical to pretend that a single guy supports a totally free bandwidth monster as this.  Yet, I think there are approches that can be taken.  I'm a 3D modeler and form part of a specialized software community.  there, we post our work, files and tips to share.  The main difference is that each member hosts images in personal server or image shack or something like that, so the community site just hosts text and links images to other sites.  This could be a nice approach so as not to loose the posibility to share experiences, inspiration and fun.  I don't personally know how this is programmed... if so, I would set it up myself, but I'm willing to help in graphic design of such a site... Best wishes to all and just contact me if I can help....

by armothe on Sun, 07/15/2007 - 17:11
The worst part is all the BS hyperlinked photos in virtually every thread in the MCN MOC forum.
Sure, BrickShelf was free, but years and years of inspiration has been lost. I for one had several folders bookmarked for the sake of reference. It's sad to see such a pillar come crashing down so suddenly. I would have been more than happy to pay $x.xx a month to have my photos hosted (without the extra long approval times). Too bad.

-A

"Hmmmm....I wonder who will make that"
BrickShelf
BrickForge Custom Brick & Minifig Accessories
by JBF22 on Sun, 07/15/2007 - 19:46
yea...just about every mando helmet was there....=(

The illustrious JBF...no comment, pls.
by NickGreat on Sun, 07/15/2007 - 23:27

Call me slow, but I've only just found out about the shutdown. Really sad to see BS go, I've always been checking it religiously for good creations.
I've been using solely BS all this while, and while I have backed-up most of my pics in my hard-drive (time to backup this backup), there were several pics I did not. I echo Damien's sentiments.

Although we appreciate that it has been a free service, a little notice before shutting down would have been good.
With regards to donations/fees, since it has not (as I recall) intensively asked for any, I wonder if there are other main reasons for the closure.

~MCN Brick Talk Moderator~

Nick's MOC Page.

by captjack on Mon, 07/16/2007 - 05:37

I was about to say maybe the reason he shut down is not the upkeep of the site but a personal issue.

So i think we just have to play the waiting game and see if anythimg happens.

"You can't kill someone over a foot massage!"

My MOC page http://www.mocpages.com/home.php

Batman Jokes & Roses

by arkantos497 on Mon, 07/16/2007 - 08:34

I agree with armothe i had hundreds of book marked inspiration pages sad to see it go...........so very sad............... :(

"Bumblebee, stop lubricating on the human!"-Optimus Prime

by pajef jdi nite on Mon, 07/16/2007 - 11:26
well its been a long time. and i like some of you seem to have lost all of my pics. i hope that some one has them although i am not sure how to go about looking for them if by some chance any of you have them please tell me where to find them, the pics of my figs werent that great but would like to get pics. of collecter cases (mos eisley,deathstar, and cloud city, with any luck maybe some or all of the ships back.)  was also wondering what other sites like brickshelf are out there? it appears that maj and flicker exist, are there any others? i was going to upload tonight on brickshelf some new figs but it doesent look like that will happen. so any info that would help me display new pics and or find some of my old would be greatly appreciated.

by arkantos497 on Mon, 07/16/2007 - 12:54

delete please

by arkantos497 on Mon, 07/16/2007 - 12:54
 Brickshelf   ITS ALIVE!!......til the 31st.

by Pharazon on Mon, 07/16/2007 - 12:59
I can't believe he called me a "whining vulture." I prefer to eat my meat while it's still alive, Vulture's have bad table manners. This is the worst tragedy since Celine Dion. Where's one of those worldwide candle lighting ceremonies when you really need 'em? Thankfully Maj is still up and, due to my semi-OCD, I backed up most of my pictures on various flash drives. Now it's just a matter of reorganizing and reposting. Still, a terrible loss of creativity and inspiration.

~MCN Moderator of the Minifig MOCs Forum~
by yeroc on Mon, 07/16/2007 - 13:39

arkantos497 wrote:
 Brickshelf   ITS ALIVE!...til the 31st.!

too... much... red... (legoship knows what i'm talking about...)

arkantos is right (thank god).  i managed to back up all my xenomorph pics for the contest to maj in time.  now i need to cool my heels, they're on fire from pacing so much.

well, if maj is linked to brickshelf, i fear it may suffer the same fate as brickshelf in the very near future...

What part of Phn'glui mlgw'nafh Cthulhu ry'leh wagn'nagi ftaghn don't you understand?

login to post comments

by pork demon on Tue, 07/17/2007 - 01:44
aaaahhhhh everyone quickly save your files, do it now AAAAAHHHHHH THE END IS NIGH. i must thank whoever decided to do this weather it was kevin or someone else, thank you for giving us this chance, everyone grab files and clutch them.

Humankind can not gain anything without first giving something in return, to obtain something of equal value must be lost. This is alchemys first law of equivalent exchange.

by Shadowviking on Tue, 07/17/2007 - 10:13
Everybody~
http://news.lugnet.com/general/?n=50928
http://news.lugnet.com/general/?n=53884
http://www.fial.com/bob/partscatalog/download/BSBackup_0013.zip
Use those. The third one is working best for me. On it, just put in the name of a user, or the I.D. of a user or sub-folder, and let it sit. It'll download it for you.

Flickr
for the avvy!
by Unknown Artist on Tue, 07/17/2007 - 12:23
Hey! That is great, thanks SV! Very useful.

- Unknown Artist, Moderator of MCN

Unknown Artist Studio | MOCpages | B-Shelf
by Shadowviking on Tue, 07/17/2007 - 12:48
Thank stuifzand, she's the one who originally posted it at Classic Castle. I'd be glad to bask in fame anyway, though. ;)

Flickr
for the avvy!